How to fill in the forms
You will need to record the following information when you tag a butterfly:
- Tag #—List the number on the bottom line of the tag that you will use on the Monarch. Be sure to include all numbers and letters. Need tags? Click here
- Tagger Name—You! If you are working in pairs, list both names.
- Date—Record the date. You can use any format Excel recognizes, but it will be displayed as "MM/DD/YYYY"
- Location—Description of the tagging. For example, Boyce Thompson Arboretum
GPS Location—Choose your preference of Latitude, Longitude or UTM.
Latitude, Longitude— There are three formats for degrees and you can use any one of them.
DD.DDDDD° for decimal degrees
DD° MM.MMMM' for degrees and seconds
DD° MM' SS.SS" for degrees, minutes and seconds
You can use spaces instead of the degree sign (°), minute sign ('), and second sign ("). The decimal point and the digits
after it are optional. In the spreadsheets, leave UTM fields blank.
UTM Coordinates—On the paper form, use Latitude for Northing and Longitude for Easting. In the spreadsheets,
leave Latitude and Longitude blank.
- County & State—List the county and state where you capture the Monarch
- M/F—Record whether the Monarch is male or female. Can’t tell? Click here
- Condition—How does the Monarch look? Does it look fresh and new—or tattered and faded? Not sure? Click here
- Activity or Nectar Plant—What was the Monarch doing when you caught it? If it was nectaring on a flower, what kind of flower was it? If you are not sure what kind of flower it is, describe it the best you can or take a picture of it.
- Wild or Farmed—Any monarch you net and tag is almost certainly Wild. For releases of farmed (purchased) butterflies, use Farmed.
- Comments—Anything else you think is important!